With in-chair teeth whitening, results are typically achieved within a 60-minute dental appointment.
When is in-chair teeth whitening used?
In-chair teeth whitening is an ideal solution for patients wanting instant results. It is an appropriate treatment for those with wear to the outer tooth layer (enamel) or extrinsic stains on the teeth of a yellow, brown appearance, typically caused by smoking or the consumption of coffee, wine, and cola and some foods.
What are the benefits of in-chair teeth whitening?
There are several advantages associated with in-chair teeth whitening:
- Dentists typically use whitening products that contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared with off-the-shelf or take-home products. This ensures results within one 60-minute dental treatment.
- Dentists apply the whitening agent directly to the teeth so that the use of mouth trays, such as those provided in take-home and off-the-shelf whitening kits, is unnecessary.
- Dentists supervise the treatment and can control the amount of whitening that occurs.
- Dentists typically use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- Dentists can better match the types of stains with the best treatments, leading to better results.
Teeth whitening will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains. It is also temporary and the degree of whiteness will vary from individual to individual depending on the condition of the teeth and the type of whitening system used. Teeth whitening is also not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
We take a “no surprises” approach, with clear explanations about your options to help you make informed decisions on how to achieve the dental health and smile you want.